Hear ye! Hear ye! The very first annual Carey Career Fair is coming up on April 17th. Here’s a checklist to use as you prepare to meet employers, learn about different industries, identify job and internship opportunities, and develop your networking skills.
- Attend the Career Fair Blitz: Stop by the 1625 Mass. Ave Lobby in DC or the 2nd Floor Lobby in Harbor East from April 13 through April 16 to receive feedback on your resume, elevator pitch, appearance, and common questions.
- Polish Job Search Materials: Proofread your resume and make plenty of copies to bring with you.
- Do Research & Develop a Strategy: Review the list of employers and identify a top target list (5-10); Research the target list organizations in detail but be prepared to initiate a conversation with an employer not on your list!
- Practice Your 60-Second Commercial: Know how to introduce yourself, demonstrate knowledge of the organization, and express your enthusiasm.
- Gather What You Will Need During the Fair: Bring pens, a notepad, and a portfolio to hold everything (and some breath mints won’t hurt!).
- Dress for Success: Remember, you want to impress employers and help them see you as the responsible professional that you are.
- TURN YOUR CELLPHONE OFF: Believe me, you will survive without it!
- Show Respect to Employers: Give a firm handshake, smile and look representatives in the eye. Thank employers for taking the time to visit Carey!